In keeping with the William Kessler theme, the other know Kessler designed home in the Grosse Pointes is the W. Hawkins Ferry house on Lakeshore Drive in Grosse Pointe Shores. W. Hawkins Ferry was a major force in modernist art and architecture in metro Detroit and the nation.
|Photo by: Joseph Messana|
Mr. W.H. Ferry was the grandson of Dexter Ferry Sr., the founder of what has today become the Ferry-Morse Seed Company. Dexter Ferry Sr. was one of the founding board members of today's Detroit Institute of Arts and was a significant benefator to the construction of the original DIA building as well as a benefactor for the purchase of significant art collections at the museum.
W.H. Ferry's parents were the benefactors for the Grosse Pointe Public Library's (GPPL) first building built specifically for the library. Up until that point, the GPPL had been using adapted space in schools, city halls and commercial buildings. After his family donated land and money for the new library, W.H. Ferry was able to convince his father, Dexter Ferry Jr., in 1951 to select his former professor Marcell Breuer as the architect of the new Grosse Pointe Public Library building on Kercheval.
W.H. Ferry, like his father and grandfather before him, became a trustee of the Detroit Institute of Arts Founders Society in 1960. W.H. Ferry played a lead role in the expasion and aquisition of the museum's collection of modern art. He was also a signficant and prominent collector of modern art himself and his personal collection was featured in DIA exhibitions in 1966 and 1987.
|Portrait of W. Hawkins Ferry by: Tony Spina - Courtesy: Wayne State University|